Saturday 7 October 2017

DESI STYLE EGGPLANT DIP


Finally the busy early autumn schedule this year seems to have come to a pause.... I will not use the word 'end'.... festivity is a part of our lives.... it is all about the magnitude of it. Before Diwali... there is a breather period of fifteen days.... How will I spend it? I would spend by relaxing with the usual routine and preparing some sweet and salted snacks for the occasion. In our childhood, Bijoya Dashami lasted till Kali Pooja / Diwali.... people visited each other, exchanged pleasantries .... had that ritual of "kolakuli"..... that my son kind of kids may call silly hugging. It was after Diwali, we geared up for our examinations.... though for me that "gearing up" never happened.... the reason why my mark sheets are hidden in the dark, secret chamber of the wardrobe. Five days of doing what I am not has come to an end, the last two days I was supposed to wear fair amount of jewelry as part of our ritual while busy preparing goodies for our goddess of wealth but I kept it minimal.... so tired and unwilling I had been but there was no dearth in my effort to worship her with what she loves...... if my mother-in-law has stopped doing it.... I must carry forward the tradition as long as I can.

What am I having right now? I am having two stale pooris / luchi with a cup of tea.... that too after a glass of water with a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar which claims to have some slimming effect.... off course not after having two pooris.... that too stale. I am that way... you should not try to find reason in my actions .... I do what I wish to .... emotionally drained for a long time now, poor observant, with questionable amount of grey matter..... you can call me "ghaar tyara".... that is the Bengali term for an untamed horse. Even, I do not know my next move, I always wish to be left at myself, thats how the wise man at home handles me. 

The last two days had been pretty busy..... yet the men at home will revolt if I serve leftover vegetarian meal to them today too.... tomorrow is a Sunday.... Cristine is on leave.... that nightmarish thought of cleaning the kitchen after cooking makes me cook 7-10 dishes on Saturdays. I am too tired to share an elaborate recipe today, let us share this quick and easy recipe of a DESI STYLE EGGPLANT DIP.... done with eggplants, tomatoes, sesame seed, peanuts, olive oil, green chillies, onion and coriander leaves. We only need to roast the tomato and eggplant and the rest is blending them together, frying the sliced onion. The crisp fried onion slices add to the taste of the dish. There was off course a meat curry to accompany. We usually have it with poori / luchi / paratha.... I am yet to try making pita at home..... soon will. You can try and test with your choice of mains. Come let us do it together.


INGREDIENTS :

Eggplant : 1big [the fleshy variety]
Tomato : 1or 2 medium sized
Onion : 1medium sized
Green Chilli : 2-3
Garlic Clove : 2-3
Melon Seed / Charmogoz : 1 tsp

Coriander Leaves : A sprig or 2
Salt : As Required
Olive Oil : 1tbsp [to drizzle atop]

METHOD :

Wash the eggplant and tomatoes thoroughly, peel the garlic cloves. Pat dry and grease with few drops of oil. We will roast the vegetables atop the gas oven. Once done, place them on a plate and let cool. Once cool.... take off the skin from both the eggplant and tomato.

Chop the coriander leaves roughly discarding the roots, wash. Take the roasted vegetables, the chopped coriander, the green chillies, the melon seeds, some salt in a blender & blend to a smooth paste!

Peel, wash, slice the onion. Heat 2-3tbsp oil in a pan and fry the onion slices till they are crisp and brown. Take out and keep on to a tissue paper.

Pour the the roasted vegetables paste in a bowl, add the crispy fried onion, mix well & serve with a choice of bread! We had it with luchi / Bengali puffed bread!










2 comments :