Saturday 18 March 2017

ALOO GOBI STUFFED BUTTER TOAST WITH INSTANT TAMARIND CHUTNEY


It is weekend .... you all must be in a mode to throw away all of the leftovers and cook fresh. Would you spare a moment and stop by me? No, I will not bore with the story of how we ate stale food and managed to grew up as healthy kids. The now old lady always cooked fresh for us. I am no more a working woman, yet I do a lot of cooking over the weekend because I do not wish to engage myself all the time in the kitchen..... I have other areas of interest.... I am that little Alice who loves to dream and often ask "How long is forever?".... May be a second or a lifetime. 

It is quite possible that the gravy of my aloo phoolkopir dalna [aloo gobi / potato cauliflower curry] may get dry and taste little more salty. The kind of a person I am, I will not serve it to my small eater men, neither can I have a big bowl of cauliflower potato curry alone nor will I throw it. I am not in the habit of wasting food. Looking back, I can see our mother buying 25grams each of cashew nuts and raisins every fortnight to prepare pulao for her kids. That time, I much craved for these dry fruits having which regularly was beyond our parent's reach. 

We have come a long way wherein cashew nuts are always in store. The problem is I do not find them that tasty as they seemed to be then. I remember the happy self when the father got us a packet of salted cashew nuts on way back from Digha or a big packet of walnut while touring Kashmir. That makes me tell my senior we may not be fair example of "good parenting".... specially when the son thing says I will not sit in the food court. Hope is when he does not say a no to a five dollar Mac meal or asks mumma to give half of the pocket money.... he has some left from last month.

Hey S, stop giving big talks, we bet you have not forgotten the way to Jayeeta's home.... hey come on do not target my weaknesses. Though long back the daddy thing fed me on Bolshevik Revolution at a tender age and I knew what living in a commune is, I also understood it is hard to put such a noble concept into a reality. I prefer to call myself a liberal, social, democrat or in a word..... a humanist. Yes, I get weak on my knees at the sight of sarees but hardly go beyond a certain price range.... I have a good understanding with this lady who tolerates my tantrums the way no one would perhaps. I choose her range on Facebook, she holds them for 3-6 months, I step in to Kolkata, call her, visit, discard all of them and buy entirely a new range. I run out of cash, she says no worries, sends her assistant to my house for the same while the happy self grabs all the packets without paying for all and go home changing three auto rickshaws. 

Yes, I buy sarees and refuse to ride taxi unless my little brother comes for rescue with his red sweetheart. He is not visiting my page as I am not posting a mutton curry.... will do it soon stupid. By the way who is Jayeeta?... The very happening and enterprising Jayeeta Dasgupta of My D - Sign.... SAREES with Aesthetics.... dive into her page to get further details. It is not that she needs me to speak for her but it is my small way to say thank you for tolerating all the trouble I give her....

Today is a Saturday, not the right day for me to spend this much time  writing in details how I made my phoolkopi aloor dalna salty and how I turned it into a yummy filling for a crispy snacker. I find it easier to do it for you with fresh ingredients available at home. Below is how I made a butter toasted bread snacker with a super tasty filling and how we enjoyed it with an instant tamarind chutney. Come let us prepare the Aloo Gobi Stuffed Butter Toast and enjoy with an Instant Tamarind Chutney.


INGREDIENTS :

Bread Slice : 6-8
Potato : 2 big
Cauliflower : 1 big
Onion : 1 medium [sliced]
Cumin Powder : 1tsp
Coriander Powder : 1tsp
Aamchur Powder : 1/2tsp [dry mango powder]
Turmeric Powder : 1/2tsp
Cumin Seed : 1/2tsp
Coriander Leaves : 1/2 small cup [chopped]
Green Chilli : 2-3 [chopped]
Tamarind Strip : 1/2 small cup
Sugar : 1tsp
Jaggery : 1/2 small cup [grated]
Salt : As Required
Chaat Masala : 1/4 tsp
Butter : 1 tsp for two slices of bread
Oil : 3tbsp

METHOD :

Let us prepare the Instant Tamarind Chutney and refrigerate for sometime.

Discard the seeds of the tamarinds, take in a bowl and add 1/2 small cup of water. Mix well, squeeze and throw the remaining seeds or deposits if any. We get a smooth paste. Mash further the grated jaggery. Add the sugar, jaggery, chaat masala, a little of salt, some chopped coriander leaves and green chilli, mix well. Refrigerate and take out while serving with the toasts.

For the filling... peel, wash and half the potatoes. Make small florets of the cauliflower, wash. Take both in a microwave proof bowl, add water, a little of salt and microwave at high for 10-12 minutes. Once cool, discard the water and mash them both.

Heat the oil in a wok, temper with cumin seeds, add the onion slices and fry till golden brown. Add the mashed potato and cauliflower. Fold in well.

Add the cumin, coriander, dry mango, turmeric powders and salt, fold in well. Stir for 2-3 minutes. Add the chopped coriander and green chillies. Fold in well and transfer to a bowl.


Heat a pan, add 1 tsp butter and place 2 slices of bread on it. Cook both sides till crisp.


Transfer to a plate, cut off the sides.


Apply a thick layer of filling and spread.


Place another toasted slice over it.


Cut diagonally before serving. Enjoy fresh  dipping into the tamarind chutney.




3 comments :

  1. Sorry Soma, I'm not a bread person. But that tamarind chutney is simply rocking me up now. Gonna make it. I so love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha... me too not as much.... but ok with a spicy Indian stuffing...

      Delete
  2. The recipe seems to be delicious, very good idea for a quick breakfast

    ReplyDelete